Monday, May 19, 2014

St. Vincent on SNL: She's a Real Fake



Don't believe the hype.

I have a knee jerk rejection against critic's darlings, I'll admit it.

I'm immediately deeply suspicious of anyone lauded universally by out-of-touch critics, jumping on the bandwagon in a desperate attempt to seem relevant and "with it".

Sometimes I'm wrong. Sometimes the flavor of the month is indeed worth lauding.

But often I will be listening to or watching a performance and will find myself wondering, "Why all the fuss?"

Case in point: St. Vincent.

Check out the reviews of her performance on the American TV show Saturday Night Live (SNL) last weekend. Universal praise!

I checked it out and tried (really, really hard!) to keep an open mind, and.... I still don't like her.

Too fake, too calculated.

Hey, check out some performance art fringe festival or something (have you ever checked out Edinburgh?), but leave rock n roll alone!

I should like her. She does weird guitar improv stuff that I like. Hell, even her improv seems calculated.

Artifice is not art.

I told my friend Chase long ago that there was really only room for one wacky chick in my life, and that wacky chick is Tune-Yards.

Case closed...



No comments:

Post a Comment